I've never built before, where do I start?

Start by giving us a call, you can trust us to give you the best advice and to guide you through the entire building process.

Do I get a guarantee?

It’s entirely up to you. Because Procuro are New Zealand Master Builders you are able to purchase an independent guarantee that provides cover for 10 years.

The guarantee will cover you for

  • Loss of deposit
  • Non completion of the dwelling
  • Structural defects for 10 years
  • Non-structural defects for 2 years
  • Alternative accommodation
  • We also offer the Procuro Building & Renovation Guarantee. Click here to find out more.
At what stage do I involve a builder?

It always pays to get your builder involved early. Simple advice from a New Zealand Master Builder when making critical decisions like choosing a section, architectural style, plans and building materials can save a lot of hassle later on.

Is the guarantee transferable if I sell my home?

Yes your guarantee can generally be transferred to the new home owner. Application for the transfer must be made within 30 days of settlement. Having the guarantee gives the buyer peace of mind and will help to sell your home

Why is it important to select a New Zealand Master Builder?

Only a New Zealand Master Builder can provide you comfort in the knowledge that your builder is trade qualified and offer the protection of consumer friendly building contracts. With a New Zealand Master Builder, you also have the option of purchasing an additional guarantee that provides 10 years cover.

How can I keep the project within my budget?

We recommend entering into a full building contract which will enable you to know exactly what the cost will be and what you will get.

Does my builder need to be a Licensed Building Practitioner?

If you undertake structural work or work that affects the weather tightness of a building, and the building is residential, then that work may be classified as Restricted Building Work. Restricted Building Work can only be done and/or supervised by a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

How do we pay for the building project?

You pay on a progress payment system as detailed in your building agreement. One advantage of full contract is you only need to make payments to one company and payments are made at specific stages of the project. When you receive a written contract quote, we will provide you with a payment schedule and also a construction schedule so you know what to expect and when to expect it.

Do I need a building consent?

If you are carrying out building work you may need to apply for a building consent.

Here are some examples of work that requires consent:

  • Any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling
  • Plumbing and drainage
  • Heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems
  • Siteworks for a building
  • Retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top
  • Fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence
  • Swimming pools
  • Decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level

If in doubt we recommend you ring your local Council and discuss your project with them.

Can I make changes during the building project?

We welcome you to make any changes you would like to enhance your home. Any requests by yourselves incurring extra labour and/or material costs will be treated as a variation to the contract. All variations will be costed and presented to you for approval authorising the builder to carry out these changes before any such works can be started.